Online Footprint

Online Presence:


My generation grew up in a world where social media is big part of our lives and how we interact and stay connected with one another. There are so many apps we use to do this, some we don't use anymore and some we do. Reading the article about the 14 year old who decided to give up one social media really made me think that even before we made our own social media profiles there were already pictures and stories about our lives already online. I know my mom did this, she posts all about my two sisters and I on facebook, whether its going down the shore for the day or heading into Philly for dinner she is posting about it on Facebook, and that was something I never really thought before today, that my online presence began before I knew what social media ever really was. 



I go on social media just about every day and I use so many different sites and apps. I love it, I like how you stay connected with friends and family and know what is going on throughout their lives. I mainly use Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. I would say that post and use them all the same. I talk with friends on snapchat, post pictures that I want on Instagram, and then tweet random things I find funny on Twitter. I only have friends and mutual people following me on these sites and if someone random follows me  that I don't know I usually just block them. If someone were to scroll through my twitter or instagram I think they would find a lot about me. I post music that I'm listening to my instagram stories and I like sharing photos that I edit on instagram. Some of these photos do have a location on them such as tagging when I'm at the beach or if I'm back at school. they would be able to tell that I go to High Point University and that I am in a sorority. I think through my instagram is where a stranger would be able to find the most about me because they could go through me tagged photos and see who I am friends with and see who follows me and who I am and following. 


As much as I do post on my social media profiles I rarely give out my phone number and email to sites. I know when you usually sign up for an account on something you usually have to give your phone number and email so that would be the only time that I do such as when I signed up for Hulu, Amazon, and Spotify. I look at that as more of a protection on my account so no one else would be able to hack into my account. I do have a separate email that I give out to clothing stores or when I was going through the college applications. This email usually gets a lot of spam mail or daily emails from clothing stores about discounts going on. 


As fun social media can be with sharing stories and pictures going on in your life it has a very negative impact on people. It has caused many mental health issues such a depression and anxiety. It does take its effects to me as well. when scrolling through instagram you see celebrities going on crazy vacations or wearing designer clothes and it people will see that as a life they will never have. People are constantly trying to compare their lives to those of others and this is mainly because of social media. 

sources:
https://www.fastcompany.com/90315706/kids-parents-social-media-sharing
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/05/is-facebook-making-us-lonely/308930/


Comments